Couples counselling, also called marriage or relationship counseling or couples therapy, is a type of psychotherapy. Couples therapy helps couples of all types recognize and resolve conflicts and improve their relationships.
Couples therapy is often short term. Couples therapy typically includes both partners, but sometimes one partner chooses to work with a therapist alone. The specific treatment plan depends on the situation.
- Some couples seek couples therapy to strengthen their bonds and gain a better understanding of each other.
- In other cases, couples seek therapy to improve a troubled relationship. You can use marriage counselling to address many specific issues, including:
- Communication problems
- Sexual difficulties
- Conflicts about child rearing or blended families
- Substance abuse
- Financial problems
- Physical (domestic) abuse
- Marriage counselling can also help couples who plan to get married. Premarital counseling can help couples achieve a deeper understanding of each other and iron out differences before marriage.